Home
Coming soon
  E-Mail
 
 
   
 

AMALGAM REMOVAL

Amalgam fillings should never be removed without adequate testing and safety precautions.  Mercury is a deadly poison and an oxidant catalyst.  Removing more than one filling from people who are already ill, or unknowingly near their toxic threshold, can make them feel worse unless correct safety precautions are used.

Amalgam fillings are the major source of mercury burden in the average person.  Thus, it seems apparent that amalgam removal is the necessary first step in helping a patient who is mercury-toxic.

Prior to amalgam removal, we evaluate how your body is currently handling the toxins it has already absorbed.  We evaluate whether your tissues are so overloaded with toxins that your body  cannot adequately excrete mercury. We also determine whether or not your kidneys can handle the extra mercury burden associated with amalgam removal.  Often the use of a hair and blood analysis and a detailed symptom history is extremely valuable. 

Besides measuring the body’s toxicity threshold, we want to ensure that the body is working efficiently and regularly.  The bowel is the major excretory route for mercury, so it is essential that a patient’s elimination system be functioning properly before we begin the process of removal.  Once the constant low-level source of mercury is removed, the body begins a process of detoxification; the mercury that is released must be able to leave the body rapidly and completely.  Part of the pre-removal preparations might include vitamins, minerals, various other supplements, and some as homeopathic remedies. Appointments for amalgam removal are scheduled according to the body’s seven-day immune system cycle.  This means that seven days after amalgam removal, the immune system will not be able to tolerate another insult from removal.

During the removal process, several precautions are necessary for the patient; these include a nose mask for breathing oxygen, a rubber dam to cover the  mouth, a lot of water coming from the drill, and special high speed suction.  To decrease the amount of mercury vapor released, we section the fillings out in chunks as opposed to grinding them out.  We use an electric drill for two reasons:  First, it cuts so much more efficiently than an air turbine. Second, it turns at a slower number of revolutions per minute, and thereby reduces the likelihood of heating the tooth. Given these precautions, it is rare that a tooth will die after mercury removal. Lastly, we use air filters in the treatment rooms to reduce the amount of mercury vapor in the air. 

Upon completion of the amalgam removal, patients may be referred to a physician for intravenous Vitamin C.  Vitamin C’s antioxidant characteristic helps to minimize the impact of mercury entering the bloodstream.  Generally, it is best to get all of the mercury out as quickly as possible. The longer the process is, the more stressful it is for the patient, both mentally and physically. 

Once mercury has been removed from the mouth, the primary source of mercury exposure has ben eliminated; however, removal is not the end of the process.  Learn more about detoxification after mercury amalgam removal.

 
     
   
       

Whole-Body Medicine: 203.371.8258   |   Whole-Body Dentistry: 203.371.0300   |   Whole-Body Chiropractic: 203.930.3133

5520 Park Avenue, Suite 301 Trumbull/Fairfield, CT 06611
© Copyright 2005 Breiner Whole-Body Health Center. All rights reserved I Web designed and developed by
www.egohead.com